14 November 2005

It's alright, because there's beauty in the breakdown. So let go.

I'm not sure if I believe in love. This is an odd statement, since I have been in love. I suppose that I have been jaded by divorce, which was always a huge theme in my childhood. Parents, grandparents, friends... marriage just doesn't seem to last. I don't understand. Why do we have this tradition in so many cultures when it doesn't seem to be effective, especially in a world and a society where it is possible to take back or nullify a promise of 'forever'?

I suppose freedom brings many things. It brings independence, free thought, variety, and comfort. It also brings idiocy, irresponisbility, and adults acting as children.

Another thing that occured to me today - tv is one of the most effective ways to bring a message to the people. That is why we have anti-drug, -sex, and -alcohol commercials all over the airwaves. It makes it seem as though the television really is raising the children of my country. A lot of parents are not competent or responsible enough to teach their kids anything good, I guess, and they need everyone else to help them out. Schools don't help because that is just kids hanging out, and if you let school raise your kids it will just be kids raising each other.

My whole life I have always said I wanted to have children. A boy and a girl, I decided this nearly a decade ago. It is only recently that I have considered not having children. I have rather specific ideas about what I would do when raising my children. What if I failed? What if I turn out just like my parents? What if I am just not cut out for raising children? I do a fine job with cats, but a little human? I don't know if I could handle that kind of responsibility.

Anyway, I do not think I believe in love. It could just be a huge illusion, with no real purpose but to make our lives more dramatic. Things like love are why I consider myself agnostic and not atheistic. Perhaps, as a human being, I am no judge of how an omnipotent being would behave, but if I were creating the world I would certainly want something to entertain my creations, and what better than a little personal drama? "Oooh, yes, boyfriend, wives, adultery, murder, romance, haha! What a beautiful little theatre I have made for myself, if I may say so - and I may for I am the ruler of all!"

The simple joys of life are what keep me going - a glowing sunset, the cold wind on my face, the comfort of my cats, and the warm scent of tobacco.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?